Have you ever considered the fascinating similarities between running an organization and orchestrating a symphony? Just as a conductor harmonizes diverse musical elements to create a breathtaking performance, a well-structured operating model orchestrates the various components of an organization to achieve remarkable outcomes. In the realm of automation, this symphony becomes even more intricate, as technology and human collaboration blend seamlessly to enhance efficiency and productivity.
Whether you’re aiming to build a robust internal automation capability or seeking automated solutions with minimal effort, the choice you make will shape your automation operating model, paving the way for success.
Let’s embark on a journey to unravel the key factors that guide this decision and explore.
Setting the Stage: A Vision for Automation
Before you plan to choose the right Intelligent Automation operating model for your organization ask yourself: Should your organization embark on the journey of crafting a robust strategic automation capability, or is the goal to effortlessly attain automated outcomes with minimal exertion? Your answer to this question sets the stage for your automation operating model.
This pivotal choice carries the power to shape your automation operating model, unveiling a spectrum of sourcing options that will steer your path to efficiency and success.
Option 1: Building an Internal Automation Capability
Building an internal automation capability is akin to nurturing a team of skilled musicians, each mastering their instrument to create a harmonious melody. Here are the steps to consider:
a. Identify Automation Champions:
These are the individuals responsible for identifying processes suitable for automation. They map out these processes and prioritize them based on potential benefits. These champions are the backbone of your automation initiative.
b. Development and Testing:
Who will write the scripts for your digital workforce? It’s essential to determine who will create and test the automated jobs, ensuring they function flawlessly and deliver the expected outcomes.
c. Monitoring and Management:
Imagine your automation as an ensemble playing across different stages. You need someone to ensure they perform impeccably, handle exceptions, and optimize their interactions. These roles require keen oversight.
d. Automation Center of Excellence (CoE):
This is your training ground, where automation knowledge and best practices are shared. By establishing a CoE, you foster a culture of learning and innovation, ensuring that your team stays at the cutting edge of automation technology.
A symphony requires a conductor, and an automated organization needs governance. IT department collaboration is vital for a smooth implementation. Their input and support can prevent discordant notes in your automation journey.
Option 2: Working with the Right Vendors
Perhaps your goal is to quickly leverage automation’s benefits without a deep dive into the intricate details. This approach is like having a master composer create a beautiful melody, and all you need to do is press play. Here’s how it works:
a. Outsource Automation Solutions:
There’s an entire ecosystem of automation solutions available. By outsourcing, you tap into pre-built tools and platforms that handle various tasks with minimal input from your side. It’s automation without the hassle.
b. Select the Right Partners:
Just as choosing the right musicians is crucial for a mesmerizing performance, selecting the right automation partners is key. These experts understand your needs, and their solutions align with your organization’s goals.
c. Rapid Implementation:
This approach lets you quickly integrate automation into your operations. It’s about speed and efficiency, achieving automated outcomes without dedicating extensive internal resources.
Orchestrating Success with the Right Operating Model
The choice of the right operating model for your organization is not just a decision; it’s a strategic move that can shape the very essence of your success. Whether you build an internal automation capability or go with a seasoned vendor, the benefits of a well-chosen operating model are profound.
An optimal operating model allows you to:
- Amplify Efficiency:By seamlessly integrating automation, you can optimize processes, reduce manual effort, and reallocate resources to high-value tasks, leading to increased efficiency and improved overall performance.
- Drive Innovation: Automation, when harnessed effectively, liberates your workforce from repetitive tasks, allowing them to focus on innovation, creativity, and problem-solving. This nurtures a culture of continuous improvement and keeps your organization ahead of the curve.
- Enhance Scalability: The right operating model sets the foundation for scalability. As your organization grows, your automation capabilities can expand effortlessly, adapting to increased demand and complexity.
- Boost Agility: In a rapidly changing business landscape, agility is essential. A well-structured operating model enables you to adapt quickly to new challenges and opportunities, positioning your organization for sustained success.
Pros and Cons of Both Operating Models
Every choice comes with its advantages and challenges. Let’s explore the pros and cons of both operating models:
Building an Internal Automation Capability:
- Tailored Solutions: Internal teams can design automation solutions that precisely match your organization’s unique processes and requirements.
- Ownership and Control: You have full control over the development, implementation, and management of automation initiatives.
- Cultural Alignment: An internal team can better align with your organization’s culture, values, and goals.
- Resource Intensive: Building and maintaining an internal automation capability requires significant investment in terms of time, money, and effort.
- Learning Curve: It may take time for your team to acquire the necessary skills and expertise in automation technologies.
- Limited Scalability: Rapidly scaling internal teams can be challenging, especially when dealing with sudden surges in automation demands.
Working with the Right Vendors:
- Expertise Injection:Vendors bring specialized knowledge and experience, accelerating the implementation process and ensuring best practices from the start.
- Quick ROI: Outsourcing to vendors can yield faster returns on investment by rapidly deploying automation solutions.
- Risk Mitigation:Vendors can help navigate potential pitfalls and challenges, reducing the learning curve for your internal team.
- Dependency:Overreliance on vendors may lead to challenges in adapting to evolving needs without external support.
- Lack of Full Customization: Pre-built solutions might not perfectly align with your organization’s unique processes.
- Initial Costs: Engaging vendors may come with upfront expenses that need to be balanced against long-term benefits.
Recommendation: A Blended Approach for Maximum Impact
Considering the benefits of both models, a blended approach can offer the best of both worlds. Start by engaging with a vendor to kick-start your automation journey. This enables you to quickly leverage their expertise and pre-built solutions while building your internal team’s capabilities in parallel. Over time, your internal team can gradually take on more responsibilities, allowing for greater customization, control, and reduced reliance on external partners.
In this orchestration of approaches, your organization benefits from immediate gains, risk mitigation, and learning from experts, while also nurturing your internal talent and fostering a sustainable automation culture.
As you navigate the automation seas, remember that the choice of operating model isn’t a one-size-fits-all decision. It should align with your organization’s goals, culture, and resources. Whether you choose to build an internal capability, partner with vendors, or blend the two, the ultimate goal is to create a symphony of automation that resonates with success throughout your organization.
AG Technologies: Your Partner in the Digital Transformation Journey
In this transformative era, AG Technologies emerges as a valuable partner, equipped with the expertise to help you navigate the intricate terrain of selecting the optimal operating model. With in-depth understanding of automation, personalized solutions, and commitment to your organization’s growth, our automation experts will ensure to help you choose the right automation strategy and operating model.
Here, our experts don’t just provide technology; they offer guidance, support, and a wealth of knowledge to steer your organization towards the right path. By choosing the right operating model, you’re orchestrating a melody of excellence that resonates across your entire organization. The stage is set; the journey begins, and the possibilities are limitless.